I am Ugly, Illegal, and Unwanted



These photos are from walls near Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York. Passersby who saw me taking photos were happy to tell me where I'd find more quality graffiti in the neighborhood. The manager of Carousel Collision, an autobody shop on Neptune Avenue, stopped what he was doing so he could explain the memorial painted on the side of his wall. The 9/11 images also come from that wall. It makes sense that creators or supporters of unsanctioned art are also open to sharing information. Art is a gift and a conversation. More on the Strange Attractions page.

[Try New York Nitty-Gritty for some Manhattan graffiti and for some gorgeous images of the city.]

Post a Comment

5 Comments

  1. Stopping by for BYB SUnday and just had to watch the graffiti. Some of the names are beautiful. I will have to look again at the graffiti in my town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts on this. This subject is a special passion of mine, and there's no greater treat than actually watching graffiti being drawn. The best part of rolling into NYC is getting a look at the colorful playgrounds along the Sawmill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:24 PM

    As always, great videos! Thanks for sharing your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my little country town, the only graffiti you see are initials painted on a bridge. However, I love to see the graffiti on the trains that come through town. Some of it is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia,
    Thanks for your comment. If you ever feel inclined, I'd love to see examples of what exists down your way and post them to the strangeattractions.blogspot.com page of this site. That ugly old tagging can lead to some beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.